{'Mentally it's killing me': De Minaur on verge of ATP Finals exit after third-set meltdown
The Australian tennis star's aspirations of advancing to the ATP Finals last four are dangling by a slender margin after a gut-wrenching defeat in three sets to Lorenzo Musetti.
Crushing Defeat in Turin
The seventh-ranked player succumbed 7-5 3-6 7-5 after being unable to close out the match, allowing the Italian to stay alive in the tournament and now leaving the Australian needing to convincingly beat Taylor Fritz in his third and final group match to qualify for the semi-finals.
Psychological Challenges Threaten Career
But confronting Fritz in 48 hours is the least of de Minaur's pressing worries as the Sydney native admits he must confront the psychological barriers that threaten to cruel his career.
A unsuccessful competitor of all six of his grand slam quarter-final appearances, the twenty-six-year-old was couldn't hide his anguish after suffering yet another crucial opportunity slipping away with his finals destiny in his own hands.
"I don't know how many times I can handle a loss like this one," de Minaur said in Turin. "I just have to talk to my team and try to sort out these issues because these are issues that cannot continue occurring."
Professional Turning Point
"I mean, if I really want to be serious about taking the next step in my career, these contests, I must win them. I just can't. It seems as if I've lost a lot of them this year. More than anything, it's getting to a point where psychologically it's killing me."
Describing his feelings as "quite dark", de Minaur bemoaned a succession of final set collapses in 2025 and said he must discover methods to win the tight encounters.
Recent Setbacks
The Australia No 1's run of crushing losses include:
- Recent 6-3 4-6 7-6 (7-5) outcome against Alexander Bublik at the Paris Masters
- Closely-contested US Open quarter-final loss to Felix Auger-Aliassime
- Semi-final in Monte Carlo against Musetti
- Wasted two-set lead against Bublik at the French Open
- Defeated in a third-set tiebreaker to Andrey Rublev in the Doha semi-finals
"I keep putting everything into these matches," de Minaur commented. "Whenever the outcome isn't positive, it's difficult to keep persevering."
Urgent Resolution Needed
"This is an issue that if it isn't resolved, it's going to eat me alive. I need to get it sorted sooner rather than later."
Upcoming Challenge
De Minaur and Fritz are 5-5 in past meetings, though the American world No 6 emerged victorious in their matchup in this showpiece event last year.
The Aussie's hopes remain alive after Fritz experienced a 6-7 (2-7) 7-5 6-3 loss to Carlos Alcaraz that ensured the Spaniard would progress to the semi-finals as the winner of the Jimmy Connors group.
Championship Consequences
The world No 2's victory, having already knocked over de Minaur, put Alcaraz within one win of claiming the season-ending top ranking from Jannik Sinner.
Even if he is defeated by Musetti in his final group match, Alcaraz will regain the world No 1 ranking unless Sinner, who defeated Auger-Aliassime in his first match on Monday, goes undefeated to retain his ATP Finals title.
"I'll attempt not to think about it," commented Alcaraz. "It's going to be a extremely important match for me. I will try not to let the anxiety play a bad time in the match. I will think about my goals, about performing much better than today."